Robot Radio

May 28, 2009 at 7:50 pm 6 comments

(update: watch this)

Robots are taking over the airwaves!

I know for a fact that if you’ve listened to any music within the past year or two you know what I’m talkin about.  In recent times Cher started it off with that “Believe” song.  Since then, slowly but surly robot voiced artists have been coming out of the wood-works.

I havn’t done enough research to figure out what the name for it is or how the effect is done, but I am sure that if I were to have a recording studio, I would use that thing all the time.  T-Pain certainly is getting the most out of it.  I don’t think they’re using a Talk Box like Peter Frampton either.

Upon my first listen of Kanye West’s 808’s & Heartbreaks, I thought “okay, this is a little too much robot for me”.  Then I decided it was fine and tis a good album indeed.  I just don’t hope robots don’t completely take over and we all have to succumb to robot only dance floors.

love,
-p.

Advertisements

Entry filed under: music. Tags: , , , , , , , , , .

pie Shouts Out

6 Comments Add your own

• 1. Brian G.  |  May 28, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Did you see this: http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/86a76df842/tpain-v-his-vocoder-from-tpain

• 2. Patrick  |  May 28, 2009 at 8:22 pm

haha awesome. that explains a lot. note to self, buy vocoder.

• 3. unknowntheartist  |  May 28, 2009 at 8:46 pm

You should def have a listen to Zapp and early George Clinton- the original vocoder/autotune was their “talkbox”- mic hooked up to the keyboard and they’d have a funny tube in their mouths while they sang. Looked majorly uncomfy. This was back in the 70s and then Roger Troutman let 2Pac and Dr Dre re-hash his song “California Love”, one of the most popular songs all over the world.
    BLACKstreet (Teddy Riley’s 2nd or 3rd group) also used the “talkbox” all throughout the early nineties.
    What sux though s real singers with good voices are using it now… oh well

• 4. Patrick  |  May 28, 2009 at 8:50 pm

ah yes, guess I didn’t think back too far before writing. I love the funkadelic robot voices. Back then though it was used in moderation, today it can practically be whole songs. Crazy.

• 5. unknowntheartist  |  May 29, 2009 at 8:52 am

or whole albums like kanye’s 808s & heartbreaks. I hope everyone just cuts the crap and starts makin’ real “sing in your own voice” type music very soon.

• 6. Steve Barman  |  June 4, 2009 at 10:17 pm

It’s called “Autotune” it’s the brand name for the effect which is supposed to tell the singer when they are singing off key.

check this out: http://is.gd/OuxM (autotune news 2)

We’re doing something similar for the intro to my show.